This 30 page third grade opinion writing resource is a must-have for teaching opinion writing or persuasive writing. These second grade opinion writing prompts are no prep and perfect for 2nd grade literacy and writing lessons or centers!
This product contains a year’s worth of student friendly worksheets which include seasonal topics (so that students can have fun writing opinion pieces throughout the school year, e.g. Easter, Halloween, Christmas, Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter)!
Note: These worksheets can be used for first grade students, depending on their capabilities.
30 pages of second grade opinion writing prompts (25 ready to go and 5 blank templates).
The prompts are in 5 different template styles. Some are more scaffolded/picture based, whereas others have more lines, for more advanced writers.
- The Best Animal
- The Best Insect
- The Best Christmas Treat
- The Best Season
- The Best Sport
- The Best _______ (Blank Template)
- Do You Prefer Butterflies or Ladybugs?
- Do You Prefer Rain or Snow?
- Do You Prefer Summer or Winter?
- Do You Prefer Birthdays or Halloween?
- Do You Prefer Easter or Christmas?
- Do You Prefer_______? (Blank Template)
- Would You Rather…be the teacher or the student?
- Would You Rather…be strong or be able to fly?
- Would You Rather…be a mermaid or a leprechaun?
- Would You Rather…play basketball or soccer?
- Would You Rather…be a dinosaur or a lion?
- Would You Rather_______? (Blank Template)
- My Favorite Candy
- My Favorite Dessert
- My Favorite Junk Food
- My Favorite Fruit
- My Favorite Drink
- My Favorite_______(Blank Template)
- Which Is Better…cats or dogs?
- Which Is Better…reading or playing sport?
- Which Is Better…sand or snow?
- Which Is Better…spring or autumn?
- Which Is Better…doughnuts or sundaes?
- Which Is Better_______? (Blank Template)
- Whole class explicit teaching
- Small group work
- Literacy centers/Writer’s workshop
- Independent practice
- Early finishers
At first glance, these second grade opinion writing prompts may seem ‘easy’ for the 3rd grade it is advertised for. This product is not meant to be pages full of writing lines. It is a scaffolded approach to teaching writing, with word prompts, as well as clip art and drawing boxes in order to be engaging.
It is perfect for your third grade students who are struggling with writing or first learning the concept. This product is not for you if you are looking for prompts and full pages of writing lines. This product is intended to help teach and scaffold the writing skill, not to be pages full of lines in which students write completely on their own.