Science of Reading aligned!
Do your kindergarten, first grade or second grade students need practice reading CVC words, digraphs, blends, CVCe words, vowel teams, diphthongs, and r controlled vowels? These reading activities are perfect for reading lessons or literacy lessons. There are reading passages and comprehension questions, as well as no prep printable worksheets.
Let’s talk about SOR for a sec!
Teachers everywhere are beginning to learn about the science of reading. They are transitioning from balanced literacy to structured literacy and from things like leveled readers to decodable readers.
What is structured literacy?
Structured literacy teaches the structure of language through explicit, systematic, sequential instruction. It is an approach to teaching reading that is based on the science of reading and years of research into how a child’s brain acquires and processes information.
In this bundle, you’ll find six products where students read words, sentences, and passages. The sentences and passages are decodable (students can progress through the products as they learn new phonemes).
Decodable readers (or in this case, sentences and passages) are great because students are using their phonics skills, instead of just guessing or relying on pictures.
*NOTE – This activity has the digital overlay tool option (Easel). Text boxes have been added to the applicable pages (the Read and Answer reading passage pages).
- Read and Choose
Students look at pictures and circle the matching words. The bonus activity is to read from a word list.
- Read and Match
Students read sentences. They cut out pictures and match them to the correct sentences.
- Read and Answer
Students read passages. They highlight words and answer the questions.
Answer keys are included.
Try the free version of these types of activities first!
- Whole group reading, literacy, or phonics lessons
- Small group work (literacy centers or guided reading)
- Independent reading practice
- Early finishers
- Morning work
- It’s a time saver and no prep – simply print and go!
- It’s a bargain!
- It’s SOR aligned, so you know that you’ll be teaching your students to read the correct way!
- It’s versatile – students in many grade levels could try this worksheet, depending on their capabilities
- It’s engaging – student friendly pictures, full of wonderful clip art (which kids will love coloring in)!