These first grade informational writing prompts are a must-have for teaching explanatory writing. These informative writing prompts are no prep and perfect for 1st grade information writing lessons or writing centers.
This is a year’s worth of worksheets that includes student friendly and seasonal topics (e.g. Earth Day, Spring, Winter, St. Patrick’s Day)!
These first grade informational writing prompts worksheets are common core aligned to the grade 1 writing standard:
Write informative/explanatory texts in which they name a topic, supply some facts about the topic, and provide some sense of closure.
Note: These 30 page first grade information writing prompts worksheets can be used for second graders who are working below their grade level.
30 pages of first grade informative writing prompts/worksheets (25 ready to go and 5 blank templates).
The prompts are in 5 different template styles. Some are more scaffolded/picture based, whereas others have more lines, for more advanced writers.
Everything I know about…
- The rainforest
- The human body
- Everything I know about_______ (Blank Template)
All I know about…
- Outer space
- Earth Day
- The ocean
- Flower life cycles
- All I know about_______ (Blank Template)
Fun facts about…
- Fun facts about_______ (Blank Template)
What I have learned about…
- St. Patrick’s Day
- The desert
- What I have learned about_______ (Blank Template)
- The Zoo
- All about_______ (Blank Template)
- Whole group writing lessons
- Small group work (literacy and writing centers)
- Writer’s Workshop
- Independent writing practice
- Early finishers
- Morning work