Science of Reading aligned!
Do your kindergarten or first grade students need practice reading CVC short vowels? These reading activities are perfect for reading lessons or literacy lessons. There are reading passages and comprehension questions, as well as no prep printable worksheets for short a, short i, short e, short o, and short u.
Students read words, sentences, and passages.
*NOTE – This activity has the digital overlay tool option (Easel). Text boxes have been added to the applicable pages (the Read and Answer reading passage pages).
- Read and Choose x5
Students look at pictures and circle the matching words. The bonus activity is to read from a word list.
- Read and Match x5
Students read sentences with CVC short vowels. They cut out pictures and match them to the correct sentences.
- Read and Answer x5
Students read passages. They highlight the CVC short vowels and answer the questions.
Answer keys are included.
Try a free version of these types of activities first!
- Whole Class Explicit Teaching
- Small Group Work
- Literacy Centers or Guided Reading
- Independent Practice
- Early Finishers
- It’s a time saver and no prep – simply print and go!
- It’s a bargain!
- It’s versatile – students in many grade levels could try this worksheet, depending on their capabilities
- It’s engaging – student friendly pictures, full of wonderful clip art (which kids will love coloring in)!
- Digraphs and Blends Reading Activities
- Vowel Teams Long Vowel Reading Activities
- Diphthong Reading Activities
- R Controlled Vowels Bossy R Reading Activities