These CVC centers are the perfect way for kindergarten and first grade students to learn about short vowels. These short vowel activities for reading CVC words are ideal for phonics and literacy lessons or literacy centers.
These kindergarten and grade 1 centers are perfect for the structured literacy classroom or teachers who are looking to implement Science of Reading and a focus on phonics in their classroom.
- Puzzle Match (matching up pictures and CVC words)
- Build A Word (building or writing CVC words to match pictures)
- Choose A Word (choosing one of two words that match the picture)
There are 3 centers. Each center comes in 10, 12, or 21 colored pages. Each center also comes with a teacher instructions page and students instructions page which show the centers in action. Short a, e, i, o, and u words feature in all of the centers. There is an option to focus on beginning sounds, medial vowels, or ending sounds in the ‘Choose A Word’ center.
- This product looks best with color printing and when laminated and cut out.
- Pegs/clips are used for the ‘Choose A Word’ activity. If you don’t have pegs, students can just circle the answer with a whiteboard marker or place a counter.
- Magnetic letters are used for the ‘Build A Word’ center. If you don’t have letters, whiteboard markers could be used to write the words in the boxes.
- Once prepped, they can be used over and over for months and years to come!
- These centers are hands-on and engaging.
- Cute clip art makes these activities enjoyable for students.
- Students will learn all about beginning sounds, medial vowels, and ending sounds.
- These centers can be used individually by students or in pairs during centers.