Your students will love these two Back To School roll a story writing prompts (designed for reluctant writers). These activities are perfect for literacy lessons, writing centers and writer’s workshop. They are also a great no prep lesson for substitute teachers during August and September!
*NOTE – This activity has the digital overlay tool option. Text boxes have been added!
Do you have reluctant writers in your classroom?
You know, the kids who have an empty page in front of them and say –
- ‘I can’t think of anything to write’
- ‘I don’t have any good ideas’
- ‘I can’t decide what to write about’
I’ve been there and I wanted to tear my hair out in frustration!
But thank goodness that roll a story prompts saved the day.
Students simply roll a die three times to mix and match story elements (a character, setting, and problem).
The ideas and decision making is DONE for the students!
This is a simple print and go activity.
You can choose to laminate this for multiple use or display the roll a story pages on a digital device.
The pages included are:
- Teacher and student instruction pages
- Roll a story prompts x2 (both in color and black and white versions)
- Two planning pages (you can choose your preferred one)
- Six writing pages (with different types of lines) for the student’s stories.
- Whole group lessons
- Small group work
- Literacy centers, writing centers, or writer’s workshop
- Independent practice
- Morning work
- Early finishers