Terrific Writing is a comprehensive writing curriculum for third grade. This curriculum is standards based (to the common core) and genre based. This 3rd grade personal narratives writing unit is where your students will learn how to write engaging personal narratives about their lives.
Are you struggling to teach writing? Do your students hate writing lessons?
Teaching writing can be so tricky, I get it!
Well don’t worry, I’ve got you covered.
In this curriculum, your students will develop a love of writing. The graphic organizers, interactive notebooks, and final craft will engage students much more than a blank piece of paper. The final writing piece asks students to write about a special day that they have chosen! After all, students love to write about things that they are interested in.
Writing doesn’t have to be dull and students definitely shouldn’t hate writing!
This 5 week unit has EVERYTHING you need, because let’s be honest, teachers are time poor.
Let’s get your evenings and weekends back, my friend! So, take a break from lesson planning and searching for engaging materials. It’s all right here.
- 25 step-by-step scripted lesson plans
- 25 posters
- 20 graphic organizers / worksheets
- 2 interactive notebooks and 1 writing craft
- 2 original mentor texts (PowerPoint versions and PDF in color and b&w)
- 24 tasks cards extension activities (2 versions – b&w, color)
- 1 assessment rubric
The lessons follow a simple format of mini lesson, think and share, and independent writing time.
- Firstly, there is a video overview to help organize and implement the unit.
- Secondly, there’s a list of common core standards that align with this unit.
- Thirdly, there’s teacher directions for the lesson plans.
- Also, there’s suggestions for differentiation and lesson times.
- After that, there’s a list of recommended mentor texts (with links).
- Also, there’s a unit scope and at-a-glance calendar.
- And there’s a lesson materials list.
- Student book/folder cover (3 versions – journal, notebook, or folder)
- 1 writing prompt pre-assessment
- 4 lined pages (for first drafts and crafts)
- 2 checklists
- 1 set of compliment notes (2 versions – b&w, color)
- 1 certificate (2 versions – b&w, color)
- Teacher directions, examples, and elaborations for the rubric
- Video with tips for using the rubric
- What is a personal narrative?
- What can I write about?
- What is a small moment?
- My small moment
- Positive memorable moments
- Negative memorable moments
- What is the structure of a narrative?
- Narratives need characters
- Narratives need a setting
- Narratives have problems
- Narratives have solutions
- What will my narrative be about?
- Let’s plan a narrative
- Start with a hook
- Writing an introduction
- Show, don’t tell
- Stretching sentences
- Using dialogue
- Powerful paragraphs
- Transition words
- Writing an ending
- Putting it all together
- Revise and edit
- Final draft and illustrations
- Publishing party
This PDF is a digital download. You will recevie a zip file upon purchase.