This 30 page resource is a must-have for teaching opinion writing or persuasive writing. These writing activities are no prep and perfect for literacy lessons, writing centers, and writer’s workshop. This is a year’s worth of 3rd grade opinion writing prompts that are perfect for your third graders.
The worksheets are student friendly and also include seasonal topics (so that students can have fun writing opinion pieces throughout the school year, e.g. Easter, Halloween, Christmas, Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter)!
Write opinion pieces on topics or texts, supporting a point of view with reasons.
Introduce the topic or text they are writing about, state an opinion, and create an organizational structure that lists reasons. Provide reasons that support the opinion. Use linking words and phrases (e.g., because, therefore, since, for example) to connect opinion and reasons. Provide a concluding statement or section.
Note: These worksheets can be used for second grade students, depending on their capabilities.
- Whole class explicit teaching
- Small group work (writing centers)
- Literacy centers/writer’s workshop
- Independent practice
- Early finishers
- Morning work
30 pages of writing prompts/worksheets (25 ready to go and 5 blank templates).
The prompts are in 5 different template styles. For example, some are more scaffolded/picture based, whereas others have more lines, for more advanced writers.
- The Best Animal
- The Best Insect
- The Best Christmas Treat
- The Best Season
- The Best Sport
- The Best _______ (Blank Template)
- Do You Prefer Butterflies or Ladybugs?
- Do You Prefer Rain or Snow?
- Do You Prefer Summer or Winter?
- Do You Prefer Birthdays or Halloween?
- Do You Prefer Easter or Christmas?
- Do You Prefer_______?(Blank Template)
- Would You Rather…be the teacher or the student?
- Would You Rather…be strong or be able to fly?
- Would You Rather…be a mermaid or a leprechaun?
- Would You Rather…play basketball or soccer?
- Would You Rather…be a dinosaur or a lion?
- Would You Rather_______?(Blank Template)
- My Favorite Candy
- My Favorite Dessert
- My Favorite Junk Food
- My Favorite Fruit
- My Favorite Drink
- My Favorite_______(Blank Template)
- Which Is Better…cats or dogs?
- Which Is Better…reading or playing sport?
- Which Is Better…sand or snow?
- Which Is Better…spring or fall?
- Which Is Better…doughnuts or sundaes?
- Which Is Better_______?(Blank Template)
At first glance, this product may seem ‘easy’ for the grade it is advertised for. This third grade opinion writing prompts product is not meant to be plain pages full of writing lines. In other words, it is a scaffolded approach to teaching writing, with word prompts, as well as clip art and drawing boxes in order to be engaging. So, it is perfect for students who are struggling with writing or first learning the concept.
This product is not for you if you are looking for prompts with full pages of writing lines. This product is intended to help teach and scaffold the writing skill, not to be pages full of lines in which students write completely on their own (although some of the prompts are like this).
There are no reviews yet.